25.2.09

Feb. 25, 2009

The Morgue: A reporter's elegy for his dying paper, by Joe Mathews

I've been told numerous times that there is no such thing as a traditional journalist anymore. I've been told that in order to succeed I in my chosen field, I need to to work after hours, long shifts, carry around a backpack of technology, be constantly curious and not be taken seriously or paid well all at the same time. This article, in a way, confirms my every fear that I will see this to be true when I enter the real world. I will say that I am more than ready to work hard, however, for what?

The Platform: The future of News, by Peter Osnos

I think we, as the audience, is ready to pay for our news. Despite the economic recession, people have always, always paid for their news until the internet confused the economic fundamentals of financially supporting journalism. I think that flexible, cheap subscriptions will do wonders for the economic structure of news today:

(a) allow a greater bond to form between the reader and his/her subscription (whether it be out of guilt or not)
(b) lessen the media outlet's dependency on advertisement (which is pertinent to it's survival)
(c) fund a collapsing system that is in danger of not doing it's one job: providing  the truth

Imagining a City Without Its Daily Newspaper, by David Folkenflik

I really enjoyed Folkenflik's last comment about "a sense of community" because it's something you don't hear much about in the often-heard discussion of media outlet's economic structure collapsing. And, I think there's some truth there. In some sentimental way, we look for tradition and time in a trustworthy publication. But also, we look for publications that our community is also looking at so that we can discuss the topics with each other afterwards. 

A Nonprofit Panacea for Newspapers? by David Folkenflik

When Albany, N.Y.'s The Times Union featured a ProPublica piece in their newspaper, they ran an article in the editorial section concerning the reason for their placement. Rex Smith, the editor-in-chief, talked about the importance of forming a relationship between non-profit and for-profit media outlets. It's cheesy, but true: we must all work together and fill in the gaps knowing, not one of us could do it all. George Seldes and I.F. Stone tried their very best to do everything, independently and in very many ways - succeeded. However, I'de like to see Seldes or Stone with a MacBook. Modern technology has raised the bar, made things more accessible and others less accessible. The bottom line is, until journalism has an appropriate, working economic model, the relationship between non-profit and for-profit journalism can only lead to good things.

No hay comentarios: