11.2.09

Feb. 11, 2009

Distracted..., Maggie Jackson
"Multitasking and the News"

My only problem with articles of this type: the "all young people are technology-induced ADHD kids", is the lack of a solution. Ok, so you're saying that computers, cell phones and multi-clickable websites have catapulted our generation into being so unfocused that it's dangerous for our democracy? Sweet, we're screwed. Now, what?



Tracking Behavior Changes on the Web, David Nicholas

An over-load of information leading to an overall "dumbing down" of a generation is frightening to think about, but a valid point. There is so much information, it's overwhelming sometimes. My mom always told me that the best way I can be effective in change is to pick a cause, and stick to it - giving it my all. I think, in some ways, her argument can apply to the overhaul of information: too much choice, too fast, too many issues. How can we deal with them all?



Mapping the Blogosphere, John Kelly

I haven't decided how I feel about "mapping the blogosphere". All of the sites that connect the dots between users and providers, I'm sure are doing something prolific, or at least of good use, for something but I can't figure it out yet. I can imagine future studies of how nutty the internet is right now will use the data formed by these mapping sites, but as of right now, I can't get myself to care. The numbers of how many bloggers' sites are being checked out by this demographic because of this link are dauntingly-large statistics that I am exhausted to even think about. Phew.



Media Re:public: My Year in the Church Year, Persphone Miel

From the perspective of a 21-year old journalism student, whose journalist ideals lie with a loyalty to print media, I can totally, totally relate to this article! Because of the generation I was born into, I'm supposed to be this media-savvy internet guru with eight blogs, a webcam that I use to video diary my every thought and a connection to hundreds of people I've never met. However, when I first jumped into journalism, I had stacks of the New York Times in my dorm room. I barely knew how to handle my Facebook account, let alone be comfortable exposing myself to the world. Granted, I still am hesitant but I have found myself shamefully addicted to Facebook, YouTube, Hulu and a number of news-driven media blogs. I stopped buying a subscription to the Times. Spoiled by free access, I'm angry at the Wall Street Journal for having the audacity to charge me for an online account. I'm completely addicted to the internet - and it's only getting worse. However, please, someone show me this post the day I sign up for Twitter.




Media Re:public: Conclusions After a Year of Exploration, Persephone Miel

I'm going to focus on the fourth bullet point in the conclusions because I feel like I've chiseled enough at the other topics over, and over, and over again in my studies here. However, the fourth, not so much:

"Despite impressive successes, participation in the online media space is not universal; there are populations and ideas that remain underrepresented."

Having done a little bit of traveling in Europe and Africa, I've seen bits and pieces of how certain discussions are halted at countries' borders. Especially, in Africa and especially in the outsource of information from Africa to the western world. With more knowledge about the continent coming from Blockbusters like "Blood Diamond" and "King of Scotland", African politics, hardship and society are heavily censored by a lack of representation in the mainstream media. The stories are few and through Western eyes. What I think the mainstream media desperately needs is a voice from these underrepresented third world countries to actively participate in worldwide discussion.

No hay comentarios: